LET’S TALK ABOUT DIFFERENT TYPES OF CABINET STYLES.
Today we’re going to lay out for you the different types of cabinets so that when you are ready to make cabinetry decisions for your Fishers, IN remodel you already have all you need to know. Picking cabinet colors can be fun, and normally something most people have figured out already when they do kitchen remodel or bathroom remodel.
One thing many people don’t consider when looking at kitchen cabinets or bathroom cabinets are how many different types of cabinet styles there are to choose from. No need to worry though I sat down with one of our designers, Katie Kramer, to get a better understanding of cabinet styles so that you can make that informed decision when the time comes!
We are going break down for you both cabinet styles and cabinet door/panel styles. So, let’s dive in!
What do we mean when we say “cabinet styles?” When we say cabinet styles, we mean the box construction or the door overlay options.
- Door completely hides in the frame of the cabinet
- Cabinet door hinges are on the inside
- These are special hinges so when the cabinet doors are closed you cannot see the hinges
- Opposite of the Frameless style we just described above
- Cabinet doors sit inside the cabinet
- Hinged on the inside of the door
Traditional (Partial) Overlay
- This is usually what we are taking out of kitchens and bathrooms currently
- There is a 1 inch reveal of the frame on all sides when the cabinet doors are closed
- Sometimes hardware is not attached on these cabinets as there is enough revealed space to open the doors without hardware
- There is only a 1/4 inch reveal on full overlay cabinet frames when the doors are closed compared to the 1 inch reveal in the partial overlay style
What do we mean by door styles or panel styles? Door styles or panel styles means “door profiles.” This is the type of cabinet door or the looks and style of kitchen cabinets and bathroom cabinets.
- Flat panel door
- 5 pieces
- This is the current cabinet door style trend in 2022
- Simple, common style and look
- “Simple, flat, 5 piece style,” – Designer, Katie Kramer
- Modern or contemporary door
- Typically a flat style
- You can get a more decorative 5-piece style door, without it looking too traditional
- You can also get a super traditional Slab Style look if you’d prefer
- 5 piece construction, but center panel is raised
- Hardwood doors
- Transitional styles
- With the cabinets we typically offer at NDB, in flat and raised panel doors, the center panel will always be MDF if the door style is painted
- Simple, single glass panel
- Multiple glass options
- Clear glass
- Frosted glass
- Decorative glass (ex. Seedy Glass)
- Glass with mullion doors (decorative mullion doors or not)
Often kitchen cabinet styles, bathroom cabinet styles and panel/door styles are overlooked. Homeowners pick out their desired color or stain and then move on to the next decision. As laid out above, there is a lot more to consider when picking out cabinets.
Seeing as they are often a bigger price tag item in a remodel, and they are definitely a major focal point, it is important to understand everything there is to consider in regards to different cabinet styles and door/panel styles. In the end, remember to take your time, do your research, and choose the best cabinet style and panel style for your space. And definitely don’t forget to decide on paint or stain!
If you want to remodel your space but don’t know where to start or what you really want the finished product to look like, give us a call today or fill out our contact form online and a team member will be in touch shortly! We will get to know you and what you’re looking for, walk you through our process and let you now how we can help you create your dream space (whatever it may look like!)